Howard S. KleinRetired Probate & Trust Litigation, Estate Planning
Howard S. Klein has been a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law** since 1993. After graduating UCLA Law School, Mr. Klein worked as a trust administrator, and has practiced law in Los Angeles County for 50 years, 35 of which included family law.
Mr. Klein has lectured, written and been a frequent panelist for Continuing Education of the Bar and most major local bar associations, primarily on probate/family law cross-over issues, on which he is an acknowledged authority. He is on the Los Angeles Superior Court Probate Mediation Panel and has mediated over 100 cases in the past decade. Mr. Klein resides in Porter Ranch with his wife, Rosalind, who is a Senior International Vice President of B’nai B’rith International.
Howard Klein retired on April 7th, 2014 and has been spending his new found free time with his family and traveling the world.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of California
- Member of the State Bar Trusts & Estates Section Executive Committee.
- Immediate past Chair of the State Bar Advisory Commission on Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law.
- Chaired the Probate Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
- Sat for six years on the Executive Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association Trust and Estate Section.
- Mr. Klein is an Associate Justice on the B’nai B’rith International (BBI) Court of Appeal.
- Past member of BBI Board of Governors.
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Named a Southern California Top 100 lawyer, 2011 – 2013.
- Named a Super Lawyer by Los Angeles Magazine, 2005- 2014.
- Holds an “AV” rating with Martindale-Hubbell.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers® 2010 – 2013.
- Named to ALM’s “Top Rated Lawyers” list 2012 which features lawyers who have achieved an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- Co-authored the article “Of Sound Mind” with associate, Taylor Bouchard – Los Angeles Lawyer magazine, October, 2012.
- Authored the article “Tales of Two Courts – Legal Changes in marital status can have a dramatic impact on existing estate plans” – Los Angeles Lawyer magazine, April 2005.
- Co-authored with Geoffrey M. Murry the article “Estate Planning for Non-traditional Couples” – California Board of Legal Specialization Digest, 2007.
- Authored the article “Transmutation and the Ascendance of Undue Influence” – The California Trusts and Estates Quarterly, Fall 2008.
- Co-authored the article, “Under the Influence in Probate and Family Law Matters,” with partner Robert Brandt and Geoffrey Murry. The article was published in the September 2008 issue of Los Angeles Lawyer, and Mr. Klein and Mr. Brandt were featured on the cover of the magazine.
- Authored the article,“Parting of the Ways: Clients contemplating divorce need to consider revision of their estate plans,” which was published in the June 2010 issue of Los Angeles Lawyer.
- Co-authored the book, “Crossover Issues in Estate Planning and Family Law – Issues on Death of Spouse or Registered Domestic Partner,” which was published in 2011 by Continuing Education of the Bar.