Thomas L. Simpson, CFLS*Partner Family Law
Thomas Simpson is a Certified Family Law Specialist and Partner at Feinberg Mindel Brandt & Klein. Before joining forces with the FMBK Team in 2021, Tom was the managing partner for the highly reputable family law firm The Simpson Law Group for 25 years. With the two offices merging, the team is now over 20 attorneys, with offices in West LA, Calabasas, and Glendale.
Prior to his admittance to The State Bar of California, Tom was commissioned in the U.S. Army Reserve where he attained the rank of Captain upon discharge. The Los Angeles Native then went on to obtain his Bachelor of Arts Degree from Santa Clara University, followed by a Juris Doctorate Degree from Santa Clara University, School of Law. Today, Tom’s family law experience spans nearly four decades.
Over the years Tom has had a vast exposure to complex child custody matters, child and spousal support modification, complex property issues, and mediated agreements. In addition to litigating and mediating hundreds of family law cases, Tom has qualified as an expert witness for plaintiff and defense work, having completed more than 10 Superior Court legal malpractice cases involving complex issues of Family Law. Presently, Tom volunteers as a Daily Settlement Officer and Mediator for the Family Law Department of the Los Angeles Superior Court, one of many pro bono affiliations he provides to the underserved in Greater Los Angeles. Tom also has developed a special expertise in prosecuting and defending issues of breach of fiduciary duty, an ever-expanding area of California Family Law. In 2006, he won his client the then-highest award in Los Angeles County history for a breach of fiduciary duty case, in the amount of over $3 million dollars.
Since being certified by the State Bar of California as a Certified Family Law Specialist in 1980, Tom has gone on to be elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), one of the highest designations a family law practitioner can achieve. In addition to being an AAML Fellow, Past President and Vice President for the AAML SoCal Chapter, Tom is involved with several other esteemed legal organizations including: International Academy of Family Lawyers, The Chancery Club of Los Angeles, California State Bar Association, Pasadena Bar Association, Glendale Bar Association, California Trial Lawyers Association, The American Bar Association, the California Bar Association and the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists.
In addition to his long history of legal accomplishments and leadership in the state, national, and international Family Law arena, what makes Tom one of the top attorneys in the state is the fact that he ensures each case is handled with compassion, commitment, and competence.
Santa Clara University, Graduate School of Business
• Certified Specialist, Family Law, State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, inaugural class of 1980
• Admitted to practice law in the State of California, 1974, before the United States Supreme Court, the United States District Court, Central District of California, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
• Appointed to the California State Bar’s 2016 – 2018 Judicial Nominees Evaluation (JNE) Commission, February 1, 2016 – 2019
• President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Southern California Chapter, 2011 – 2012
• Vice President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Southern California Chapter, 2006 – 2008
• President, Glendale Bar Association, 1986 – 1987
• California State Bar Independent Inquiry and Review Panel for Certified Family Law Specialists, 1986
• Executive Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law Section, 1981
• California State Bar, United States District Court, Central District of California, 1974
• Qualified as expert witness for Plaintiff and Defense in over 10 Superior Court legal malpractice cases involving complex issues of Family Law
• Board Member, Glendale Foundation for the Retarded, 2012 – 2014
• Advisory Board Member, Glendale Healthy Kids, 2014 – Present
Pro Bono/Community Activity:
• Los Angeles County Superior Court Family Law Mediation Panel, Los Angeles County, Central District (Los Angeles)
• Los Angeles County Superior Court Family Law Mediation Panel, Los Angeles County, North Central District (Glendale/Burbank)
• Los Angeles County Superior Court Family Law Mediation Panel, Los Angeles County, North East District (Pasadena)
• United States Jaycees
• Oakmont Country Club, Glendale, CA, Regular Member 1996 – present; Membership Chair, 2008 – 2014
Lectures and Writings:
• Speaker, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2010
• Speaker and Panelist, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2009
• Speaker and Panelist, Los Angeles County Bar Family Law Trial Institute, Los Angeles County Bar, 2007
• Speaker and Panelist, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Attorney Fees, 2013
• Speaker and Panelist, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Family Law Trial Basics Seminar, 2015
• Co-author, “Finby – Employee Goodwill & Other Issues”, Journal of the California Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, Summer 2016
*Certified Family Law Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization