Gregory A. Girvan, CFLS*Partner Family Law
Mr. Girvan is a Certified Family Law Specialist at FMBK. His practice exclusively focuses on family law including divorces, contested child custody proceedings, drafting and negotiating prenuptial agreements and litigating domestic violence cases.
The majority of Mr. Girvan’s litigated matters settle out of court through mediation or settlement negotiations. When his clients have been unable to resolve their cases through settlement negotiations, he has successfully litigated property, support, and child custody issues. Mr. Girvan also has extensive trial experience in a number of interstate and international child custody and child support matters. Mr. Girvan’s clients have prevailed in various domestic violence cases; both victims and those alleged to have committed acts of domestic violence.
Mr. Girvan has represented clients during appellate proceedings, including a number of cases that resulted in published opinions. Over the course of his career, Mr. Girvan has developed an expertise in negotiating, drafting and reviewing marital agreements including premarital, post-marital and separation agreements. Such matters often involve highly complex income, asset, and liability situations, and have often included foreign and interstate considerations.
Prior to joining FMBK, Mr. Girvan served as a Family Law judicial extern for the Honorable Harvey Silberman of the Los Angeles Superior Court. He joined the firm in 2009 through FMBK’s Summer Associate Program.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Girvan served as a legislative deputy for the California State Assembly. While working for the Legislature, he drafted legislation to prepare California’s communications infrastructure for natural disasters and to curb harassment in the workplace.
Mr. Girvan resides in the San Fernando Valley with his wife and three children. He remains active in state and local politics and supports nonprofit legal aid in Los Angeles including Bet Tzedek. He is an avid sports fan, and is particularly passionate about the Dodgers and Lakers.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Has organized numerous political events, including hosting Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa at FMBK.
- From 2011-2012, Mr. Girvan served on the Los Angeles Unified School District Redistricting Commission, with the responsibility to redraw all district boundaries within the school district.
- “Division of Unconventional Assets” Annual Family Law Symposium – Crossovers & Conundrums, Beverly Hills Bar Association, 2022
- “Use of Experts at Trial to Tell Your Story” 5th Annual Sorrell Trope Family Law Trial Institute Program: Effective Advocacy in 217 Hearings and Trial, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2022
- Presented at the 3rd Annual North County Bar Association Family Law/Trusts & Estates Cross-Over Seminar, 2022
- “Challenges to Children and Families Under COVID-19 –And Custody Orders to Meet Those Challenges” 42nd Annual Child Custody Colloquium, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2020
- “Critical Case Law Updates, and The Challenges of COVID-19” California Society of CPA’s Family Law Conference, 2020
- “Evidence in a Proceeding under the Domestic Violence Protection Act” Los Angeles County Bar Association – Family Law Section
- “Crossover at the Crossings: At the Intersection of Family and Probate Law Issues – Proceed with Caution,” North County Bar Association, 2018
- Lectured at Loyola Law School to Professor Levinson’s Community Property class
- Lectured at Loyola Law School on topics including child support, child custody and premarital agreements for an upper division family law course
- Lectured at Southwestern Law School to Judge Mark Juhas’s Family Law class
- “Why Does Priscilla Presley Have Custody of Grandchildren During Lisa Marie’s Divorce Battle? Legal Expert Weighs In” – People.com
- “The Evolution of Assets and Determining Their Value in Divorce Proceedings” – Daily Journal, 2023
*Certified Family Law Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization