Robert C. Brandt is a Certified Family Law Specialist* and heads FMBK’s Family Law Department. Applying over 40 years of experience as a family law attorney, Mr. Brandt focuses on getting to know his client’s individual needs, concerns and sensitive situations. Throughout the difficult separation process, Mr. Brandt remains respectful of his clients’ wishes, never suggesting a plan that is against their best interests. Clients appreciate Mr. Brandt’s sensitive approach to understanding the severity of their matters and value his strategic methods in dealing with difficult situations.
Mr. Brandt has earned great respect from both clients and peers, as reflected by his inclusion on the Southern California Super Lawyers Top Ten list for eight consecutive years, and his being named a Southern California Super Lawyer every year since 2005. And in 2020, Mr. Brandt was featured on the cover of the annual Super Lawyers Magazine, which included an article about his background and legal career in family law. Mr. Brandt was also selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers® 2010- 2022, while also holding an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Brandt graduated from San Diego State University with a Bachelor of Arts with Distinction in Speech Arts. He then went on to earn his Masters Degree in Speech from UCLA before earning his Juris Doctorate from Southwestern Law School Mr. Brandt is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, where he serves as Past President of the Southern California Chapter and received the 2018 National Professionalism Award. Mr. Brandt is also a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists and previously served as Chair of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) Family Law Section. In 2021, Mr. Brandt was appointed to the American College of Family Trial Lawyers, which is an organization consisting of the top 100 family law trial lawyers in the United States. He is also the recipient of the LACBA Spencer Brandeis Award (2022) which is the highest honor bestowed by the Los Angeles County Bar Association Family Law Section. This Award is presented, when deemed merited, to pay tribute to an individual who has had an extraordinary impact upon the advancement of family law by way of creative legal advocacy and commitment to the service of the family law community.
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Southern California Chapter
- Past President, 2018 – Present
- Immediate Past President, 2017 – 2018
- President, 2016-2017
- President Elect, 2015-2016
- Vice President of Programs, 2014-2015
- Treasurer, 2010-2014
- AAML Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Grant Committee
- Finance Committee
- Appointed to the Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation (JNE) – State Bar of California, 2019
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Diplomate, The American College of Family Trial Lawyers (Top 100 Family Law Trial Lawyers in the United States), 2021- Present
- Co-Founder, American Inns of Court Family Law Chapter in Los Angeles
- Member, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Spencer Brandeis Award Recipient, 2022
- Executive Committee, 2003-Present
- Past Chair
- Chair Elect
- Court Liaison/Family Court Services Committee
- Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: Family Law Section
- Recipient of the Spencer Brandeis Award
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- Named a Top 10 Lawyer for eight consecutive years by LA Magazine, 2011-2018
- Named a Top 100 Lawyer by LA Magazine, 2009-Present
- Named a Super Lawyer by LA Magazine, 2005-Present
- Best Lawyers, 2010-Present
- AV preeminent rating with Martindale-Hubbell
- ALM’s “Top Rated Lawyers” list which features lawyers who have achieved an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- Los Angeles Superior Court
- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, Family Law Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Southwestern Law School
- Board of Directors, Southwestern Alumni Association, 2018
- Thompson West
- Co-authored Law of Professional and Amateur Sports Volume 3 – Chapter 3A, entitled, “Family Law/Domestic Relations Issues Affecting a High Net Worth Athlete or Coach,” 2009
- Los Angeles Lawyer
- Presenter and Moderator, Southwestern Law School, CLE: “Domestic Violence and Coercive Control”, 2021.
- Presenter and Moderator, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California AAML Symposium, “It’s None of Your Business, Or Is It?”, 2021.
- Presenter and Moderator, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Southern California AAML Trial Institute, “Reading SEC Filings”, 2019.
- Presenter and Moderator, Iranian American Lawyers Association, Cultural Competency Seminar, “Marriage & Divorce: Invisible Cultural Boundaries”, 2018.
- Presenter, LACBA 49th Annual Symposium, “From Opening to Closing – The Art of Presenting your Case at Trial”, 2017.
- Presenter, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists 25th Annual Spring Seminar, “It’s None of Your Business, Or Is It?”, 2017.
- Moderator, ACFLS and Levitt & Quinn Family Law Center, ESI 2.0 – Managing Electronically Stored Information and E-Discovery in Family Law, “What Is It and Why Do We Care?”, 2016.
- Moderator, Iranian American Lawyers Association, Cultural Competency Seminar, “Leaders, Followers, Partners: Marital Rights & Duties Around the Globe”, 2016.
- Presenter, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists Annual Spring Seminar, “Orders and Judgments: The Lawyers Role”, 2015.
- Presenter, Iranian American Lawyers Association Cultural Competency In Family Practice, Serving Two Legal Masters, Yes With Out Your Daughter: Applying UCCJEA to Foreign Custody Orders, 2014.
- Presenter, Los Angeles County Bar Association 46thAnnual Family Law Symposium, Advanced Motion Practice, 2014.
- Introductory Remarks as Chairperson, LACBA Family Law Section- Los Angeles County Bar Association 44thAnnual Family Law Symposium, 2012.
- Presenter, Beverly Hills Bar Association 35th Annual Family Law Symposium, Dealing with Difficult Clients, 2009.
- Presenter, Los Angeles County Bar association, 41stAnnual Family Law Symposium, Proof and Presentation Issues: A Judicial Perspective, 2009.
- Speaker, Los Angeles County Bar Association Family Law Section, Inn of Court, 2009.
- Presenter, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law CLE presentation on Preparation, Prosecution and Defense of the Typical Order to Show Cause, 2008.
- Presenter and Moderator, Beverly Hills Bar Association Family Law CLE presentation on Evidentiary Objections, 2008.
- Presenter and Moderator, Los Angeles County Bar Family law CLE Presentation on Family Law Trial Institute 101, 2007.
- Presenter and Moderator, Los Angeles Superior Court Family Law Symposium, Client Relations – Avoiding Malpractice, 2007.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law Symposium Producer, Ethics Panel, 2006.
- Presenter and Moderator, Los Angeles County Bar Family Law CLE in Effective Techniques in Family Law Deposition, 2006.
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law Symposium panel Moderator for Cross-Over Areas in Family Law, Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Juvenile Dependency, 2005.
- Sub-Committee Member, Sponsorship, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law Symposium, presented by the Los Angeles County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Los Angeles Superior Court, 2000.
- Presenter, Los Angeles County Bar Association Continuing Education Program, “Learn the Secrets of the New Family Law Stipulation and Order Form,” December 1999.
- Presenter, Los Angeles County Bar and Los Angeles Superior Court Continuing Education Program regarding Local Rules and Stipulations, 1998.
- Representing Parents and Children in Custody and Visitation matters, State Bar of California, 1995.
- Presenter at various legal and accounting Family Law Study Groups.
*Certified Family Law Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization